Thursday, October 8, 2009

TIMBERRR!

It's a sad day at 2 Shanley Court. Our maple tree came down today. It has been dying for years and had been dropping branches in every storm so we figured we better take it down before it fell on the house or cars or somebody. Mollie wanted photographic documentation so here it is.

I seem to have done whatever makes me type underlined again. Kyle tried to explain what I was doing wrong but I still don't get it.

Pretty sad.








All these years I thought we had a Norway maple but turns out it was a sugar maple. My research had shown that Norway maples just turn yellow in the fall (like ours always did) whereas the sugar maples produce the brilliant colors New England is known for. But the arborist who took the tree down and Michael Millane both agreed that it was a sugar maple. An underachiever, I guess.



I actually kind of like how the house looks without a tree blocking its nice lines although I think we need to cut the hedge about a foot lower.


But we still plan to plant a replacement tree. I'm supposed to have the wood tested to make sure the tree didn't die from verticillium wilt because that is caused by a fungus in the soil which maples (and quite a few other trees) are susceptible to and if we planted another maple it would just die. They didn't think that was what it was but we'll see. What are your votes for what we should plant?

9 comments:

Megan Busath said...

OH. MY. GOSH.

THE HOUSE IS NAKED!!!!!!!!

:o(

The front rooms must get a TON of sun now!

ottspot said...

A Norway Maple...I mean underachieving Sugar Maple. Just don't choose the one that none of the other trees will play with.

momdickerson said...

The agricultural experiment station in New Haven looked at the wood and said the tree had had a verticillium infection some time in the past. They didn't think that was what killed it but said it would probably be smarter not to plant another maple (or anything else susceptible to vert.) So now I'm looking for a combination of vert. resistance, road salt tolerance, and fast growing. A locust tree meets all those criteria. So do hackberry and zelkova and katsura and red oak. It's a tough decision.

momdickerson said...

P.S. The stupid anti-social dog was probably the hardiest one of the litter. All the others have probably been dead for years. She's already two to four years beyond the expected lifespan. Just my luck.

P.P.S. And she peed in the family room again yesterday

Megan Busath said...

where have I heard "zelkova" before?

ottspot said...

red oak. locust and zelkova look like big bushes. the katsura looks like it could be pretty but doesn't look like it gets very big? I vote for the red oak so you still get autumn color...and acorns for the squirrels.

mollie said...

i think i also like the red oak tree, for the record.

also for the record, when i read this post, i thought "THE HOUSE IS NAKED!!!" and then i read megan's comment and got all weirded out.

and for the same imaginative record, please do not cut the hedge. i don't know why you want to encourage people to look through the front window.

the end.

p.s.- the view from my room is going to seem mighty different at Christmas time!!!

Unknown said...

I vote hot dog tree.

Megan Busath said...

... i guess mowing the front yard will be a lot easier now.